16 February 2009

Land of the Nasty Dust!

Hi Mom! I'm in Baghdad! This photo op is a must when visiting the Land of the Nasty Dust! These are the "Crossed Swords", "Hands of Victory", or "Swords of Qādisīyah." All in all they are monstrous swords at both the entrances to Saddam's old parade grounds. (SEE LINK ABOVE)
I'm surviving well enough...missing the family to no end. Wendy sends pics of the boys and they love talking to me on the phone. I've survived the "Iraqi Crud" which is a vicious version of the cold/flu...it's compounded by the quality of air and the finite dust that is all but escapable here. It usually lasts 1-3 weeks. I got off lucky with only 1 week.
But life is good...food is as plentiful as the dust. You could definately gain a deployment 20lbs. I've lost a couple inches off my waist and replaced fat with muscle. I go to the gym for two hours every day. I do my lifting and then hit the bicycle for 20-30 mins. You could say I'm looking quite Hulkish...Ok, maybe that was not the best analagy, but I'm in the best physical shape ever.
I'll post more soon about my experiences here.
W-

2 comments:

amyB said...

hmm, that disclaimer seems so familiar...

Anonymous said...

That picture is cool! FYI- I think you're great and good for what you're doing. I know it is all part of the package of being i the military, but we still miss you and pray for you every day!