25 July 2009

Scout High Adventure (50 Miler)

Last week I took our Scouts on our yearly high adventure. As you can see from the picture we went to West Virginia to the Cranberry Backcountry Researves. We had ten young men that made the trip. We did 50 miles Monday through Friday. The boys were so eager to finish the trek they forced us leaders to pull off 15 miles the last day. I learned several lessons on that hike. One of which was that I was NOT in shape for the trek. I was basicly the last one to pull up at each break. I to think that I provided the boys with ample opportunities for breaks, but I digress.







We took detours to see West Virginia's two tallest waterfalls and I must say they were very beautiful.
Yours truely!
64 Feet of beauty.

One of our many campsite mornings.

I had a little contest with the boys. Our theme for the hike was "I can do hard things with the help of the Lord." I told them them that the boy who best embodied that theme would earn a reward. I gave the reward at the last devotional on Saturday. The reward? Well while I was in Baghdad I picked up a very unique pocket knife that was made of wood and brass. It's called an Okapi Knife. It's a German made knife made in South Africa.

It was a great experience that I never want to experience again. My feet took a beating. Emflamed tendons, blisters, and overall fatigue.

David Hoopes and I. We were the shepards and stewards of the Beavercreek Ward Scouts.

0 comments: