08 October 2007

Sullivan's Cave, Indiana

I'm a little late in posting this, but it's worth doing so anyway. There's a guy in our ward that is really into caving, really! So he took a bunch of the ward members, (we all had had to sign safety waivers to go.) The picture to the right is after I crawled out of the depths of Indiana.
The cave is called Sullivans Cave. The entrance to the cave is literaly a hole in the ground at the base of a big tree, (the link below shows a lot of pictures of the cave, better than the ones i took.) We went to a certain part of the cave by which I had to wade through 4 foot deep water to get to. All underground water is at a constant 54 degrees so it wasn't that cold.
The one part of the cave I hope to never frequent again is called the "Popcorn Crawl!" I was literaly crawling inch-by-inch with the cave walls touching me on all sides. Kind of like being born again? Eh?
Over all this is not a cave that God made for tall folks like me, and as you can see from how I look, it's a very, very dirty messy cave. Good gloves, elbow and knee pads very much required. http://www.cavingexpeditions.com/album.asp?categoryID=135

0 comments: